Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Maine

    Sail boats in the Portland Harbor. York Beach 

While in 5th grade, geography class focused on studying all 50 states, requiring students to be knowledgeable not only of all the states and their geographic location, but their capitols as well.  Projects were also required of each student to write a report about each state. My state was Maine. Since writing the report, a dream and goal of mine was to go to Maine.  16 years later, that dream came true. My co-worker, Emily, and I went to York for her to run in a 5k race and for me to run a 1/2 marathon. We then adventured to Freeport and to Portland. I excelled in eating my first lobster, walked the sandy, crittered filled beach, enjoyed the multitude of New England Clam Chowder, wore my winter coat in the 48 degree evening temperature, ate my first Whippie Pie, and heard the term "wicked" in almost every phrase or sentence.  It was a gorgeous, fun-filled weekend away from the city and being a 4 1/2 hour drive--it's a perfect weekend gettaway. 

No comments: